Saturday, April 11, 2009

Upside Down

I love this picture of upside down Pokey. For one thing my baby is gorgeous and for another you can see my hand quilting on the Margarita Quilt. I'm doing straight-ish lines so that I end up with Xs across every patch (which are each roughly  one inch). As usual, I'm over quilting, but I just love how it looks.

I had my uptake scan yesterday (though I may have to go redo it, bleah) and can now eat whatever I want again. Woohoo! How I've missed my English Breakfast Tea with milk.

A bit of news for you. Bonnie is doing so fantastically well with her book and has contracts for two more. It's amazing and I'm so proud of her. Meanwhile, I'm going to be working on the free-pieced letters book by myself. So there's that. 

Have to admit I've been enjoying taking a break from working on the book and quilts for it and instead quilting Margarita. I want it on my wall, gosh darn it. Nose will be back to the grindstone soon enough.

More quilty stuff... Whee, Sharon got her copy of Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran's new book. Read more here.

Love Bebe's new quilt top with the Liberated Houses and Stars.

Finished watching Lost Season 3. Love that time trip into the future - most excellent. And have to say I'm quite happy they killed off a certain character who annoyed the heck out of me. Anyway, funny to realize that this is another show with non-linear time, kinda like the time loops I was talking about in my last post (but completely different).

How could I have forgotten the Mummy's Hand episode of Buffy from my list of time loops? yes, one of my favorite episodes. I always loved the Geek Troika as villains. 

I have a book recommendation for you. The Magicians and Mrs Quent by Galen Beckett.  It essentially boils down Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters in a world with magic. I loved loved the first part of the book, that really did have Jane Austen down pat. Seriously loved it. Unfortunately the second half turns into Jane Eyre which I don't care for much at all. Still, it's a fun book. Go here to learn more and read an excerpt.

Now I just want my library to get Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. The cover of the book alone is enough to make me want to read it.

24 comments:

Anna said...

that cat pic should be in a contest...adorable....love the quilt too....I just picked up a copy of liberated string quilts...will look for the book at my new library (goodwill)

Clare said...

Oh Pokey - can I kidnap you please!

Are you measuring your lines or doing à la Tonya and guessing?

Woo hoo about the Twinings Tea. I bet you've really been missing that.

I heard about the Zombies book on the radio the other day - sounds interesting!

Jo Vandermey said...

This is way to cute! The contrast of kitty to quilt is great.

Browndirtcottage said...

I want that kitty!!!! And there can NEVER be too much quilting!!!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

You are going to be a very busy lady!
Another book! letters! woohoo!

Have you watched life on mars? I've been watching it, and all of a sudden it took a total left turn...

Janet said...

Can you really over quilt. I love the look of dense quilting. I'm not a cat person but yours could easily win me over.

pwl said...

Pokey is gorgeous and so is your quilt! The books sound interesting - and slighly reminiscent of Jasper Fforde. Have you read any of his works?

Tanya said...

Anytime you want to stop quilting you can be a photographer. It would be nice if Pokey agreed to be your permanent model.

Paula said...

Love that upside down Pokey!!! Too cute.

Kristin Shields said...

Pokey is adorable! The quilt is looking good.

I was just working on my liberated house quilt from the class last year- There's no place like home. I am ready to add the words, but not sure yet how I want to do them. Must think on it.

Stephanie D said...

I do love that cat's eyes!

Cher said...

terrific photo of Pokey! love how your Margarita quilting is looking.
I have mailed my order/check to Gwen-we shall see how long it takes my book to arrive. thanks for mentioning it. Soon, I too will be back to my word houses...two final deadline projects almost done.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Pokey is just beautiful. Why is it that cats just love sitting on whatever you are working on/reading?! I love the colours in your quilt. You can never have too much quilting.

Linda said...

Pokey and the quilt are both wonderful. Wow! Do they ever complement each other! I want Pokey to come play with me at my house. Meow.

Diane said...

I echo the sentiment of so many others ~ there's no such thing as too much quilting! The variety of colors should fend off the tedium of all that straight line quilting. It will look magnificent when you're done. Hope you are feeling good, strong and motivated for your wonderful book project.

Beena said...

Happy Easter!

I want Pokey to come to my house, too! Adorable. It would be interesting to see which quilts of mine that Pokey liked! I have a feeling Pokey would like my fish quilt! (laughing) Maybe too much!

I like the quilting you have done. The straight lines will do a great job in stabilizing all the pieces and compliment them well. Now,I'm curious what your plans are for your border! Do keep us posted! I will eagerly be waiting! What a gorgeous quilt!

You have picked the right way to watch LOST, without all the commercials! I just pre-ordered season 5. I can't wait to watch again without the commercials!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

If I wasn't allergic, I'd get a cat, just to have photos for my blog! Such a cute kitten.

jude said...

glad to hear you are working on the book.

comicbooklady said...

Love that Pokey! Her eyes match the blue on the quilt, too! I see she has many play dates ahead!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic feline foto!!

Congrats on going solo with your book ~ you and your work deserve the recognition!

Enjoy your quilty time...

Unknown said...

You have such pretty kitties, and the blue eyes just blow me away.

I think there will be a big market for your book--everyone who has seen my word quilt is so intrigued and full of quesitons, and it's your technique they are interested in.

nannergirl said...

The new quilt (and your kiity) look great. Can wait for your book Tonya!

linda said...

What a precious picture of your Pokey!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

hmmm..the buffy loop that was agood one, I'm going to have to check out galen's book and the pride and prejudice with zombies, I've heard is good and written in the vernacular of jane austen...fun!