Saturday, January 12, 2008

Another Day, Another Few Logs

I keep going round on round on my Skinny Logs. I think I got too overly precious and worried. It seemed kinda bland to me so I'm back to including the busy, too-much-contrast fabrics that I decided not to use yesterday. I dug them back out of the scrap bin and used them. They're helping. Need to cut even more.

I'm being too choosy when I pick fabric out of my basket and need to use whatever I grab whether it "goes" or not. I need more clashiness. That's my task for tomorrow.
The top blocks are about 7" right now, but I think I'm going to put another couple of logs on. I'm such an inconsistent piecer that these things are undeliberately wonky. I so worried about that the last time I played with logs and yet when I look at them all pieced together I love how they look. The lesson, which I have to keep relearning, is just go with it. It doesn't matter, only the final appearance matters. Stand back and look at the whole thing.

If you want to see some great lighthearted soulful quilts, go look at Bonnie's crumbies she recently posted here.

Pokey weighing down the fabric so it doesn't float away:


15 comments:

Joyce said...

I really like the wonkiness. The colors are great too. Sometimes it's hard to make yourself just go for the one you grab at random but I do like the result of that.

Susan said...

When your quilts are finished, they are all appealing. I like these blocks just as they stand, though. I know you are enjoying what you are doing, and that makes it all okay, whatever the outcome, which for you will be beautiful, I'm sure. =)

Donna said...

love pokey trying to catch the colour dots on the fabric -- little helpers one and all cats are!

Your log cabins are almost inspiring me to give them a try -- they're one of the hardest blocks for me somehow I always end up with logs going clockwise and counter clockwise... never neat and tidy and "right" looking :-)

canquilt said...

more clashiness. That is almost always a good thing for a beautiful quilt.

Kristin Shields said...

Wow! These look great. I have found too that I can't do anything without some wonkiness. Thanks for the tip on the crumbies. I love her cheddar bordered one and now I want to do some of those! I got to working on the Better Not Pout quilt and have the words placed. It took some doing as I decided to piece them in on angles. Now I need to figure out the applique and embroidery part with Ryan's drawing. So much fun!

Anonymous said...

Love your colors! I have made many log cabins... I group harmonious lights and darks, reach into either group and stitch away, but that's more of a country look. Every so often, I square up and then continue. There are so many artful variations... a dark or light strip could be included on the "wrong" side... the log can be tilted by using uneven seams etc etc.

About winter depression... I lived many years in Alaska, where we used full spectrum lighting, esp. in our offices. Wonder if that would help too?
--Annette

Unknown said...

Looking good. The clashiness is an asset IMHO.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Love your log cabins Tonya, and the colours are great too!

Quilting Pirate said...

beautiful log cabins! And Pooky is such a wonderful help...you know fabric does like to sneak away! :D

Lea said...

I'm enjoying your Log cabin progress.
I'm usually the dark color fabric person but Your color speaks to me!

Tanya said...

I haven't made a log cabin quilt in the longest time but your blocks are beautiful. I guess I need to keep you in mind when I buy fabric. I love the strong blues, pinks and purples!

Hedgehog said...

The colors in your log cabin blocks sing!

julieQ said...

Lovely helper you have there with your fabrics!! I like the clashing, as you say. I agree, Bonnie's quilt are way cool.

Spring is coming!! new life and sunshine help me. and hand work on my quilts. Hope you are OK!

JulieQ

ForestJane said...

Pokey looks like she's got a paw to her mouth and is studying the little selvedge color dots.

When I first started quilting, I was told in all seriousness that I needed to find a floral for the border, then use these dots from the floral - and ONLY colors in those dots could be used in the blocks.

Wonder if I looked like Pokey as I studied the dots in the fabric store?

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

Yes!, it looks like Pokey is helping you decide on the fabrics! What a wonderful helper!
Like you, your cats have great character. I love your log cabins, they're looking great.