Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Who Does Your Building Look Like?

Remember how I walked all the way home from the Marais the other day? It took me well over an hour and was a bit miserable there at the end. Well we'll all be walking everywhere in Paris if this transportation strike continues. I can tell there are more cars on the street than normal just by the increase in honking outside. Anyway, good thing my husband just has a 25 minute walk to work. And today we had sunshine.

These are pictures I took on that walk home I was telling you about. Of course I have no idea what street this was and why this building is an art project, unless someone is having fun before demolition begins?

I love this face:


And there are some paintings as well.

I love the colors painted on the door.

That sign does say demolition, although I find it hard to believe they are actually knocking it down. Maybe just a serious renovation?

Finally, a picture for my uncle of St Eustache, which had to have been the only church he didn't manage to photograph while he was visiting. No gargoyles but there are flying buttresses.

I am very whiny today. Big allergies, headache, and my bad knee is acting up. sigh. Aiyee.

Meanwhile, I am really enjoying the Winter Class. Folks have already made progress. Lots of fun so come check it out and you can still join up if you'd like to.

12 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

Love the face on the building! And the door color too. Your comment about renovation vs demolition reminds me of the Taco Time restaurant here in town. They put up a sign saying they were closed for remodeling then they tore the WHOLE BUILDING down! That's a serious remodel!

Unknown said...

I've always wondered- what makes buttresses fly? Is it pixie dust, or reindeer corn, or OOOOH- the parrot umbrella from Mary Poppins!!! You know you can buy one, now that the musical has hit Broadway. I'm getting one Sunday. :)

Donna said...

love the face on the building! Reminds me of one of my favorite holiday "decorations" -- an apartment block that a few neighbors spell the word "Humbug" in huge letters with Christmas lights... its great fun throughout the season as this face is....

Tracey in CT said...

How neat! Someone has a sense of humor or something! From a distance, the face kind of reminds me of those tack things you can get to stick in a tree and make a face on the side of the tree. But the closeups are even cooler!

Joyce said...

Thanks for the walk around Paris. We stayed in Marais when we were there but I never saw any buildings with faces on them like that one.

Finn said...

Love the happy face..what a neat surprise when walking past...LOL
Glad you are getting some sunshine.

Clare said...

I love that front door and the face is wonderful. Are buildings decorated like that in the US? I've seen loads here but never anywhere else. I hope the demolition will be behind the facade and they'll keep those gorgeous paintings.

Hope you are feeling better today. Lovely heavy frost down here this morning and the max temp is going to be 4°C. Cold but beautiful and will kill the germs.

Unknown said...

Wonderful--love the whimsy of it all. How lucky you are to have all this at your doorstep.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Really love those doors. And the church is awesome. Sorry you're feeling under the weather. :(

atet said...

Love that building -- it's great! Hope your allergies subside soon, I get hit every fall as well -- not fun!

Padparadscha said...

Hello Tonya,

This fantastic ladmark building is in rue de Rivoli - it's a sort of artists' squat. At some point they had a case with the owners of the building, then it was officialized that the artists could stay there. I'm not quite sure about the more recent developments. I noticed the demolition sign too...

Sorry I didn't write earlier - I've been very tired, will get in touch soon.

Have a nice day :o)

mouse (aka kimy) said...

crazy face!!

was wondering how you were faring w/ the transit strike. bummer to have knees go on strike at the same time.

love those gift bags...and here I thought I was being EC (environmentally correct) by wrapping presents in fabric remnants with edges sewn...the bags are BETTER!