Thursday, October 05, 2006

Inspiration: Family Quilt

Here's a way to make a fun quilt about your family.

First write down all the family members you want to include. Don't forget yourself. How about pets? Does one of your kids (or pets) have a doll or stuffed animal that is incredibly important - maybe they're a part of the family too.

Next I want you to come up with a quote for everyone on your list (at least the humans). For a small one it might be something like "no,no,no,no" or the classic "But Moooooom..." whine. For this particular project you might not want a lengthy quote.

Is there a thing/object/activity that you associate with each person? Write it down. When you are collecting fabric for the quilt, you may want to include some fabric that reflects items on your list. You know the kind I mean: baseballs, scissors and pincushions, doggie bones... It's an option.

Now you've got a bunch of ideas, it's time to start sewing.

Here are some suggestions: using the free-pieced letters (of course) make blocks with everyone's name.

Now the quotes. I would recommend that you don't join the quotes up yet, just leave them as individual words until you know how you want to use them.

Do you want to piece a block for each person/animal? You could do actual people (one of these days I WILL do a tutorial on it, I promise, once I have a sewing machine and fabric) or maybe a representational item. I know you could figure out how to improv piece a sewing machine.

You could also transfer photos onto fabric. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of that technique, but I know loads of people do love it, so definitely an option.

How about your last name? Maybe your address? A house block? Maybe a bunch of hearts?

Here's an example for you, using "I Love Lucy":

"The Ricardos." Piece a red-headed female figure with the words "Lucy" and "I want to be in show business." And a male figure with "Ricky" and "You got a lot of 'splaining to do." There would have to be a little boy with "Little Ricky" and I have absolutely no idea what he'd say. Little Ricky never had much of a personality. And of course "Fred" and "Ethel" would have to be included as well... That would be a starting point.

My next post with the quilt Happy Howloween was made using this same starting point. Not that all the monsters etc are my family, but you know what I mean.

7 comments:

Hedgehog said...

This is a draft for your book, right!! I like the idea of doing something from literature.... I'll file it away for a future project. Wish I could just quilt all day!!

Joyce said...

The idea of a family quilt is great. Given the size of my family, I'd have to put aside at least a year for that one. I guess I could work on it a bit at a time. Something to think about for sure.

quiltpixie said...

wonderful talking through a design process Tonya....

Sweet P said...

Now you've given me something to think about for using your wonky letters. Thanks!

Carol E. said...

Fun idea!! Now, could you please add a few days to each week? Non-work days, of course.

Clare said...

Wonderful idea! How about family names as a border round loads of houses? Now that has given me an idea for the wall hanging I'm doing.

Fiona said...

This sounds like a great idea. At the moment my little boy's phrase would be 'It's not my fault', whereas my daughter's would be 'Whatever' delivered in a bored adolescent drawl. This would be such fun and bring back so many memories for years to come.