Friday, August 18, 2006

Flag Beady

Woohoo, not only did I finish all the quilting on Terms, but last night I finished the Flag Beady that I've been working on intermittently for the last two years. It measures 6.75" x 5.5"

I learned a lot while doing this and got better as I went along. Would do things differently if I were making it again, but that's life. The framers reopens from their summer holiday so I can take in a bunch of my pieces for framing on Monday.

Learned how to do this type of beadwork from an article Andi Stern did in the Spring 2004 issue of Quilting Arts magazine. I also like the book Beaded Embellishment by Clarke and Atkins.

Some fun bead embroidery blogs are: The Lone Beader and Liz at I Work to Support My Vacation Habits

My sweetie took the day off from work yesterday and we spent several hours organizing. We now have a place to stack items that are going in our airfreight shipment and the boxes for charity donation are out of control. Cats are having fun exploring the new playground.

We watched "The Big Night" - a great movie if you love food. Even if you don't. Highly recommended - has great acting by Stanley Tucci and a pre-Monk Tony Shalhoub.

Our stinking a/c went on the fritz yet again but has been cleaned up. Somehow I expect that we'll be seeing the janitor again for this chore in a week or two.

And last but not least, some X and O action. Check out:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your beady is sooooo pretty. And I LOVE "The Big Night." I love Stanley Tucci, and this was the perfect movie for him. Must rent it again :-)

Passionate Quilter said...

Love that beady! Man, that looks like a lot of work, but you like handwork, so it was probably fun for you. Great job on finishing your Terms quilt. One more thing done before the big move!

quiltpixie said...

congrats on the finishes pre the move! A couple more projects that can be in the "finished" box rather than the "projects" box :-)

Unknown said...

"Beaded Embellishment" changed my life. I have an almost mystical feeling about that book. I found it just exactly when I was casting around for beading ideas to use on a project, and it led me exactly where I needed to go.

I LOOOOOVE your red, white, and blue beaded piece. Fantabulous.

Granny said...

You surely had a productive day. Love your beady. I'm going to have to quit reading your blog as I want to keep trying new things!! I suppose that's my way of saying you inspire me! :)

Judy L.

Anonymous said...

Love "The Big Night", if you really like foodie movies , try "babettes feast" and "chocolate", if you havent already seen them.

Joyce said...

I'll have to look for that movie. Two food movies that I really like are Eat Drink Man Woman (maybe not in that order) a Chinese movie about a chef that has lost his sense of taste, and Babette's Feast. Oh, I just noticed that others liked Babette's Feast too.

Susan said...

Yay! The quilting is finished, so the quilt is almost done, too! And that beady is beautiful. I can't imagine how many hours went into that. Very lovely and flashy. Does it get framed in one of those deep, window-box kind of frames? Can't imagine matting!

I haven't seen that move, I'll have to look for it when we get back to the big city. Chocolat is one of my favorites, but not because of food. =)

Thanks for the link!

Lois R. said...

LOVE the flag beady and can't wait to see Terms complete!!!

ForestJane said...

Wow, so cool!

You bought red, white, and blue beads in Egypt, and started it there? Seems like some (that flag heart) would have been difficult to find.

It's lovely, I'd like to see it in person, in fact. :)

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh! I don't know how many times I've watched Babette's Feast, it is one of my all-time favorites and I discovered Big Night when I was renting all the Tony Shalhoub movies. He and Stanley Tucci were just a riot together in that movie. Oh! And did everybody see Stanley Tucci in the Monk episode recently??? Fantastic.

Hanne said...

What a lovely beaded flag Tonya. Gives beading a new dimention for me.
My head is full of more ideas for the xo quilt. Tomorrow I will so some spelling on it. I have an idea brewing.
It remains to see if it will work :-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your American beady is gorgeous! That is one of my favorites I've seen of yours. But I checked out one of the links you gave for beading and those dogs the one lady is making is just to adorable also! Have you ever tried one of your cats?

Yours is beautiful!

Andi said...

I took the leap! Now I just have to organize my scrap bins so I have pieces ready...

Tazzie said...

Gosh I love your beadie Ton, it's amazing! You really have such patience, there's a whole lot of beads in there! I'm so looking forward to seeing the end result of your Terms quilt, I've loved seeing the progress.
Have a great weekend hon
*hugs*
Taz
:-)

Lily Mulholland said...

Tonya that is startlingly stunning. Well done!